Sorry this is a bit late. I meant to post this earlier, honest I did, but I actually got a job (gasp!) so I haven’t had much time to even think about knitting (blasphemy, I know)
There it is. Sideways. Click for bigger, if you like.
I’d hoped to get more pictures, but the recipient (my dad) has gained a little weight since this was planned, so it didn’t fit so well. He says he loves it anyway, though (bless), and now he’ll just have to lose weight again so it’ll fit properly. 🙂
If I ever make this again:
- Definitely will do ribbing again, but next time use a provisional cast-on or tubular or something other than long-tail. I don’t like the way that turned out. Also actually do ribbing on fewer stitches or with a smaller needle instead of just planning to and then not doing it. (I would have snipped it off and redone it, but I was already 2 months behind on this thing)
- Use three-needle bind-off for shoulders. I had actually intended to do this but chickened out. Now I wish I’d just done it.
- Don’t do a slipped selvage on the neckline and armholes. You’ll need to pick up more stitches than that.
- Related to the above, do all decreases one stitch in from the edge. You’ll need to pick that up later.
- The center neck stitch ended up looking a little stretched out. Figure out how to alleviate this.
- Figure out how to make the garter ribs match up at the shoulders. This will drive me nuts for the rest of my life.
- FELTED JOINS. They make your life so much easier.
I learned a lot from this project, which was actually my first sweater. Actually, it was my first anything that wasn’t completely improvised. I think it turned out well, considering.
At the last minute (on Saturday night, before the three hour drive to visit him on Wednesday), he also commissioned a hat out of the leftovers. I managed to finish it before the birthday dinner.
I followed the decreases as instructed in the WWII-era pattern, doing a sl1-k1-psso instead of a more modern ssk. I like how they turned out, even if you can’t see them here. Also, my first time using felted joins (wish I’d thought of this ages ago). He plans to dye this one, so I have no idea how it’ll turn out in the end.